Thursday, February 10, 2011

Rowdy Pupils Scare Away Newly Arrived Expat Teachers

Rowdy Pupils Scare Away Newly Arrived Expat Teachers

Some of the facts in the article are not right.  More than 50 teachers have left- I think it is around 300.  We got the exact number in an email in December and I am sure more did not return from the Christmas Break.  There is no support, no training (we have PD, but it is about things that are not useful to teaching here.  The last one was- okay, you speak English in the classroom, but sometimes you speak Arabic too, so the kids can understand you.  We are doing this in January?  I have been teaching here since September- I think I figured that out by now... It's called code sharing anyway.)  Basically everything that Vincent Ferrandino says in the article is false.  I have never seen a translator either- I at least have an Arabic teacher who speaks good English, but some people don't at my school.  And when we do "trainings" in English, they are lost.  An English teacher left my school for the reasons in the article, and another is pushing for an Arabic teacher.  They are 1st grade teachers, not KG, and that is why they didn't have them in the first place.  Still, not what we were told when we were coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment