Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Well this is different...

In the U.S., teachers can get into their classrooms a good amount of time before school starts.  I would say at least a week, right?  At least?  Okay, well school starts with the kids on Wednesday the 15th.  Guess when I can get into my school, let alone my classroom.  Oh yes, Wednesday.  The 15th.  Probably a whole half hour before school starts!  I've never seen the school because it is an hour away and we are being bused there, and they say they are still cleaning and constructing in the schools.  The principal will report for the first time on that day, too.  Oh, and since it is a K+ 1-5 school, it is possible that I may not even be teaching kindergarten.  But when will I find that out- You got it, Wednesday morning!!!  Definitely different, but it is how things work here and you just have to get used to it...

They are trying really hard to get us our furniture allowance and salary advances, but it's been a week and nothing yet.  Same thing with the keys to the apartments, so we will be starting school living in the hotel.  Oh a great note, I did find a fabulous mattress today that was half off and once I get my money and find out where I am living, I just have to go back to the place to pay and it will be ready and delivered in three days!!!  All of the beds here are like brick boards so it was lovely to find a cloud-like bed.

Eid is starting sometime this weekend, so we are off until Monday.  Tomorrow has been declared a public holiday, but it is still Ramadan.  Eid is the feast at the end of Ramadan and things will be open again and we can eat/drink in public.  I hear it is like a giant party.  We won't know when it officially starts until it is published in the morning newspaper because like all things, it is based on the moon.  This will be what happens in the school calendar, as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment